Commodore David Porter established a Naval Station here on April 3, 1823 as a Supply Base for his 17-Ship Anti-Pirate Squadron. The Station remained in constant operation from that date until its disestablishment on March 31, 1974. Although its function has varied over the years it has operated through seven conflicts with its personnel reaching from a low of 17 military in 1932 to over 15,000 military and 3000 civilians in 1945.
Truman Annex Property Owners Association (TAMPOA) consists of many entities under the total umbrella of TAMPOA. The Redevelopment of Truman Annex, that was a former Naval Base started in the early 1990's. Although some of the old Navy buildings were transformed into modern homes many were built from ground up to be this beautiful planned area in Key West Old Town.
The Shipyards Condominium, Presidents Lane, Mills Place, Harbour Walk and the Foundry to name the most popular. There are also an assortment of large private homes.